Two killed in Taliban bus shooting: Local official
Kandahar: The Taliban opened fire on a bus in
southern Afghanistan on Thursday killing two civilians, including a
child, and wounding 16 others, a local official said.
The attack came after the bus driver ignored demands from
the militants to stop as he drove along a road in the troubled
Gereshk district of Helmand province.
A man and a child were killed, and eight women, four men
and four children were injured, provincial spokesman Daud
"The Taliban waved to the bus to stop. The driver didn`t
stop and the Taliban opened fire. Two people, one of them a
child, were killed," Ahmadi said.
The driver sped away from the scene after the shooting and
reached a nearby police post, where the wounded were evacuated
to hospital, Ahmadi said.
The Taliban are leading an insurgency using tactics
including suicide attacks, roadside bombs and the intimidation
of local people across Afghanistan, although their traditional
heartland is in the south.
They often stop civilian buses and other vehicles hunting
for government employees and members of the Afghan security
The United Nations says 1,462 civilians were killed in the
Afghan war during the first half of this year and insurgents
were responsible for 80 percent of the deaths.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly