Two killed, police officer injured in blasts in NW Pakistan
Peshawar: Two persons were killed and a senior officer of a bomb disposal squad was injured in two blasts in Pakistan`s restive northwest on Monday, police said.
Both explosions occurred in Dera Ismail Khan district of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province, which borders the restive South Waziristan tribal region.
Two persons sustained severe injuries when a roadside bomb was detonated by remote-control in Loni area of Dera Ismail Khan. They were being taken to a nearby hospital when they died, police officials said.
Following the explosion, police received a tip-off that more bombs had been planted in the area. A bomb disposal squad reached the site of the blast and defused four bombs.
However, Inayat Ullah, the chief of the squad, was injured when an IED exploded while he was defusing it.
Security personnel cordoned off the area and launched a search operation.
No group claimed responsibility for the blasts though such attacks are usually blamed on the Taliban.
Earlier in the day, a Taliban suicide bomber blew himself up near the army headquarters in Rawalpindi, killing 13 people.
Yesterday, a blast inside the cantonment of Bannu city in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa killed 20 troops and injured 30 others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble