Two killed, seven other injured in Karachi blast
Karachi: At least two people were killed and seven others injured on Monday in a bomb blast at a cigarette shop in Pakistan`s largest city Karachi, police said.
The blast took place at a cigarette and pan shop with police officials saying that the bomb, weighing around two kilogrammes, was placed in a motorcycle parked near the shop in the Pushtun dominated neighbourhood of Landhi and detonated by a timer.
"The incident happened in a poor neighbourhood of Landhi, Khurrumabad and seven people were injured while two were killed by the explosion," senior police official, Fayyaz Khan, said.
"The casualties included a man and his 12-year old son who were buying stuff at the cigarette shop," he said. Khan said the explosion also damaged eight motorcycles and nearby shops.
"The injured include three children and two of them are in critical condition," Khan said.
On March 3 twin bomb blasts close to a shia dominated housing society called Abbas Town in Gulshan-e-Iqbal killed about 50 people and injured 135 others.
As a result of the blasts, violence broke out in the city, with the Supreme Court of Pakistan taking suo moto notice of the incident and in the hearings blamed the government and law enforcement agencies for failing to provide security and safety to citizens.
In the aftermath of the blasts and Supreme Court hearings Inspector General Sindh, Fayyaz Leghari, and four other senior police officials were removed by the government on orders of the court.
Ironically Fayyaz Leghari was also removed as IG Sindh on court orders in August, 2011, after the para-miliary rangers gunned down a young man, Sarfaraz Shah, claiming he was a thief.
A video of the shooting later released by a television channel led to the court and media taking up the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA