Two light quakes jolt Bangladesh
Dhaka: Two light earthquakes jolted
Bangladesh, the country`s weather office said on Saturday, but there
were no reports of any major damage or casualties.
The two quakes shook Bangladesh late Friday. One, which
hit at 10:45 pm (local time), had a magnitude of 4 while the
other which struck at 11:24 pm was measured at 4.6, the
government`s meteorological department said.
The epicentre of both quakes was located 71 kilometres
southwest of the capital Dhaka, meteorological department
official Kamrul Ahsan said.
"There were at least two tremors but we have no reports
of damage or any casualties," he told a news agency, adding each quake
lasted a few seconds.
The US Geological Survey said the quakes occurred at a
depth of 14 kilometres.
The tremors caused multi-storey buildings across Dhaka to
shake for a few seconds, panicking many residents who briefly
fled their homes ahead of today`s Eid al-Fitr celebrations.
No further shocks were reported today, Ahsan said.
Earthquake expert Maksud Kamal said the tremors occurred
on the Dhaleshwari fault line and added that the mild tremors
could herald a larger earthquake, according to local media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says