Two militants killed, 4 detained over Quetta attacks on Shias
Last Updated: Friday, February 22, 2013, 20:42
  
Islamabad: Two members of the banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, responsible for terror attacks on Shias were killed and four detained during a pre-dawn operation by security forces in Quetta city of southwest Pakistan on Friday.

Frontier Corps personnel surrounded a house during a raid in Nawan Kili area of Quetta, the capital of Balochistan province, early this morning.

People inside the house opened fire at the security personnel, who retaliated and killed two members and detained Four other members of the LeJ during the operation.

Ahl-e-Sunnat Wal Jamaat, a group having close links with the LeJ, organised protests in Quetta and Karachi demanding action against the personnel who killed the two LeJ members today.

ASWJ has called for a day-long strike in Quetta tomorrow.

Four Frontier Corps personnel injured in the shootout were admitted to a military hospital, officials said.

In a separate development, police found and defused an improvised explosive device at Satellite Town in Quetta today.

The bomb, which contained about five kilograms of explosives, had been planted against the wall of a house, police officials said.

Balochistan which is currently under Governor’s Rule, launched a crackdown on the LeJ after it claimed responsibility for a bomb attack in a Shia-dominated area of Quetta that killed 91 people on February 16.

It has also claimed responsibility for twin suicide bombings that killed 92 Shia Hazaras on January 10.

Security forces launched the crackdown on February 19, killing four LeJ members and detaining 170 suspects.

Officials claimed the mastermind of the February 16 bombing was among the arrested persons.

PTI


First Published: Friday, February 22, 2013, 20:42


comments powered by Disqus