Two militants killed, 4 detained over Quetta attacks on Shias
Islamabad: Two members of the banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, responsible for terror attacks on Shias were killed and four detained during a pre-dawn operation by security forces in Quetta city of southwest Pakistan on Friday.
Frontier Corps personnel surrounded a house during a raid in Nawan Kili area of Quetta, the capital of Balochistan province, early this morning.
People inside the house opened fire at the security personnel, who retaliated and killed two members and detained Four other members of the LeJ during the operation.
Ahl-e-Sunnat Wal Jamaat, a group having close links with the LeJ, organised protests in Quetta and Karachi demanding action against the personnel who killed the two LeJ members today.
ASWJ has called for a day-long strike in Quetta tomorrow.
Four Frontier Corps personnel injured in the shootout were admitted to a military hospital, officials said.
In a separate development, police found and defused an improvised explosive device at Satellite Town in Quetta today.
The bomb, which contained about five kilograms of explosives, had been planted against the wall of a house, police officials said.
Balochistan which is currently under Governor’s Rule, launched a crackdown on the LeJ after it claimed responsibility for a bomb attack in a Shia-dominated area of Quetta that killed 91 people on February 16.
It has also claimed responsibility for twin suicide bombings that killed 92 Shia Hazaras on January 10.
Security forces launched the crackdown on February 19, killing four LeJ members and detaining 170 suspects.
Officials claimed the mastermind of the February 16 bombing was among the arrested persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir