Two MQM lawmakers suspended by Pak SC for dual nat
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court on Wednesday suspended a provincial and a federal lawmaker from MQM for having dual nationality, taking to nine the number of politicians against whom action has been taken on similar grounds.
A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry took action against Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) leaders Farhat Mahmood Khan, a member of the National Assembly, and Nadia Gabol, a member of the Sindh Assembly.
The bench subsequently adjourned the case for two weeks.
The apex court is hearing a petition seeking the disqualification of lawmakers with dual nationality.
Yesterday, the bench had suspended PML-N leader Malik Jamil Awan`s membership of Parliament.
The Supreme Court had initially taken action only against lawmakers of the ruling Pakistan People`s Party.
It acted against Awan after some legal experts claimed it had so far not suspended PML-N lawmakers.
At a recent hearing of the case, Awan had himself acknowledged that he held Dutch nationality.
Last month, the Supreme Court suspended the membership of Parliament of three PPP politicians -- Rehman Malik, Farahnaz Ispahani and Zahid Iqbal.
The Supreme Court also suspended the membership of three lawmakers of the provincial assemblies of Sindh and Punjab.
At the time, Malik was the Interior Minister.
Following the action by the apex court, he was appointed a Special Advisor to the Premier on interior affairs so that he could continue heading the Interior Ministry.
The apex court has pointed out that the Constitution does not permit persons with dual nationality to become members of the provincial and national assemblies.
Reports have said the government is planning to introduce legislation to allow persons with dual nationality to serve as lawmakers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- DNA: Analysis of first SECC survey in eight decades
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?