Two Pak men charged with using forged travel documents in Zim
Johannesburg: Two Pakistani men, one of
whom was initially thought to be linked to the Mumbai terror
attack, have been charged in a Zimbabwe court with using
forged travel documents to enter South Africa.
The two Pakistani men, who were arrested at a border
post in Zimbabwe while trying to cross into South Africa
illegally were produced in court yesterday and charged with
breaching immigration laws.
The arrest had raised an alarm over the possibility of
terror groups trying to target the FIFA World Cup in South
The state media had initially linked one of the two
arrested men to the Mumbai terror attack, but police is yet to
verify any such links.
Imran Muhammad (33) and Warraich Chaudhry Pervez Ahmed
(39) were arrested while trying to cross into South Africa at
Beitbridge Border Post last month.
The two appeared in court and were charged with
contravening sections of the Immigration Act, Zimbabwe Herald
The two men were found to be in possession of fake
travel documents by immigration officials at the border check
post while trying to enter the country on June 20.
The paper said they were found in possession of forged
Tanzanian Emergency Travel Documents whose names did not tally
with those on their Pakistani passports.
Muhammad and Ahmed, who appeared before Harare
magistrate Sandra Mupindu, were not asked to plead during the
They have been remanded in custody to July 22 because
a Pakistani interpreter is needed for the proceedings as the
two men are not conversant in English.
The prosecutor told the court that the two men were
being charged under the Immigration Act, "after they failed to
present themselves to an immigration officer and possession of
travel documents to which they were not entitled".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?