Johannesburg: Two Pakistani men, one of
whom was initially thought to be linked to the Mumbai terror
attack, have been charged in a Zimbabwe court with using
forged travel documents to enter South Africa.
The two Pakistani men, who were arrested at a border
post in Zimbabwe while trying to cross into South Africa
illegally were produced in court yesterday and charged with
breaching immigration laws.
The arrest had raised an alarm over the possibility of
terror groups trying to target the FIFA World Cup in South
The state media had initially linked one of the two
arrested men to the Mumbai terror attack, but police is yet to
verify any such links.
Imran Muhammad (33) and Warraich Chaudhry Pervez Ahmed
(39) were arrested while trying to cross into South Africa at
Beitbridge Border Post last month.
The two appeared in court and were charged with
contravening sections of the Immigration Act, Zimbabwe Herald
The two men were found to be in possession of fake
travel documents by immigration officials at the border check
post while trying to enter the country on June 20.
The paper said they were found in possession of forged
Tanzanian Emergency Travel Documents whose names did not tally
with those on their Pakistani passports.
Muhammad and Ahmed, who appeared before Harare
magistrate Sandra Mupindu, were not asked to plead during the
They have been remanded in custody to July 22 because
a Pakistani interpreter is needed for the proceedings as the
two men are not conversant in English.
The prosecutor told the court that the two men were
being charged under the Immigration Act, "after they failed to
present themselves to an immigration officer and possession of
travel documents to which they were not entitled".