Two Pak trainer aircraft crash, 4 pilots killed
Islamabad: Two trainer aircraft of the Pakistan Air Force collided mid-air and crashed into a thickly populated area in the country`s northwest on Thursday, killing four pilots and injuring at least five persons on the ground, officials and witnesses said.
Residents of Rashkai area in Nowshera district said the aircraft collided before plunging into two houses.
The walls and roofs of the houses collapsed and debris from the aircraft lay strewn over a large area.
Police officials and witnesses said all four pilots in the two propeller-driven aircraft were killed instantly.
Three children and a woman were among the injured, said residents of Rashkai, a town located 50 km from Peshawar, the capital of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.
The accident occurred close to the Pakistan Air Force Academy at Risalpur shortly after 10 am.
A PAF spokesman confirmed the incident and said an inquiry had been ordered to ascertain the cause of the accident.
The aircraft burst into flames after hitting the ground. Local residents took the injured to a nearby hospital. A large number of people gathered at the site and helped pull the injured out of the damaged houses. Army troops and air force teams later cordoned off the area.
This was the second crash of a PAF aircraft in a week.
On May 11, a Mirage fighter jet crashed near Karachi.
The PAF operates a fleet of French-made Mirage III and Mirage 5 aircraft procured between 1968 and 2000 and Chinese-built variations of the F-7.
Seven Mirage jets have crashed since the aircraft were inducted into the PAF.
Pakistan has been phasing out the older Mirage jets and replacing them with the JF-17 Thunder that was jointly developed with China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM