Two Pakistani drug smugglers get death sentences in Yemen
Sanaa: An appeals court in Yemen on Saturday
upheld drugs-trafficking sentences against four Pakistanis,
condemning two to death and giving 25-year jail terms to the
others, the defence ministry`s website reported.
Court president Mohammed al-Hakimi confirmed the
verdicts handed down in October 2009, condemning Salim Daoud
Abdelrahim and Imam Bakhsh Ayub Yakub to death, the 26sep.net
It said the other two convicts, Ghulam Khan Wali
Mohammed and Mohammed Sidiq Ahmed, were sentenced to 25 years
The court "confirmed the death sentences against two
Pakistani drug convicts and 25 years imprisonment against
another two," the website reported.
The four are accused of smuggling 1,695 kilogrammes
(3,729 pounds) of hashish into Yemen via its coastal
Death sentences in Yemen are usually carried out by
The lower court had acquitted the remaining seven of
the group of 11 fishermen who were arrested in Yemen`s
territorial waters in May 2008 on board a boat from Pakistan.
Their trial began in December last year.
Five people have been executed in Yemen this year, and
according to a 2008 report by London-based watchdog Amnesty
International at least 15 people were executed in the country
in 2007. Figures for 2008 are not available.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail