Two Pakistani drug smugglers get death sentences in Yemen
Sanaa: An appeals court in Yemen on Saturday
upheld drugs-trafficking sentences against four Pakistanis,
condemning two to death and giving 25-year jail terms to the
others, the defence ministry`s website reported.
Court president Mohammed al-Hakimi confirmed the
verdicts handed down in October 2009, condemning Salim Daoud
Abdelrahim and Imam Bakhsh Ayub Yakub to death, the 26sep.net
It said the other two convicts, Ghulam Khan Wali
Mohammed and Mohammed Sidiq Ahmed, were sentenced to 25 years
The court "confirmed the death sentences against two
Pakistani drug convicts and 25 years imprisonment against
another two," the website reported.
The four are accused of smuggling 1,695 kilogrammes
(3,729 pounds) of hashish into Yemen via its coastal
Death sentences in Yemen are usually carried out by
The lower court had acquitted the remaining seven of
the group of 11 fishermen who were arrested in Yemen`s
territorial waters in May 2008 on board a boat from Pakistan.
Their trial began in December last year.
Five people have been executed in Yemen this year, and
according to a 2008 report by London-based watchdog Amnesty
International at least 15 people were executed in the country
in 2007. Figures for 2008 are not available.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested