Two Pakistani Taliban leaders killed
Islamabad: Two key commanders of the Pakistani Taliban have been killed in clashes with security forces in northwest Pakistan, the Dawn newspaper reported on Sunday.
The clashes took place in Salarzai in Bajaur region. The Tehrik-i-Taliban commanders killed on Saturday night were identified as Shahid Omar and Huzaifa.
Witnesses told Dawn about fierce fighting in Lakian, Batwar and Tendo Dak areas.
Two civilians were also killed when mortar shells reportedly fired from Afghanistan fell on a house in Nawagai region.
Troops backed by helicopter gunships, jets and artillery attacked militant positions, forcing the Taliban to vacate their bunkers, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- On being No. 1 in Tests: We need to do a lot to maintain it, says Pakistan skipper Misbah-ul-Haq
- Reasons why you're having chest pain!
- Madhya Pradesh assembly to consider GST Bill today
- Rohith Vemula suicide case: Hyderabad V-C can't be held responsible, concludes HRD probe panel
- Saradha scam: ED summons P Chidambaram's wife Nalini