Two Pakistani UN soldiers jailed for raping Haitian boy
London: Two UN peacekeepers from Pakistan
have been sentenced to a year in prison and sacked from the
army for raping a 14-year-old boy in Haiti, a media report
on Tuesday said.
The soldiers were found guilty by a Pakistani military
tribunal in Haiti and will serve their terms back home, BBC
The attack in Gonaives in January was not the first time
UN peacekeepers have been accused of assault.
Last year, five Uruguayan soldiers were accused of
sexually assaulting a teenage boy at a UN base, it said.
In that case a video which purported to show the attack
was posted on the internet, leading to protests in the Haitian
capital, Port-au-Prince, and calls for the UN to leave the
There have also been demands that UN soldiers should be
stripped of their immunity and be tried by Haitian courts, the
news network said.
Yesterday`s ruling was the first time that UN personnel
have been tried and sentenced while still in the country.
Haitian Justice Minister Michel Brunache said the verdict
was a small step in the right direction but that "we expected
more from the UN and the Pakistani government".
The UN peacekeeping mission has been deployed in Haiti
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!