Two police, 35 militants killed in Afghan unrest
Jalalabad (Afghanistan): Afghan commandos
backed by foreign forces killed 35 militants in southern
Afghanistan, the defence ministry said on Sunday, as a suicide
bomber killed two police at a border post.
The bombing today at Torkham, a key border crossing
between Afghanistan and Pakistan in Nangarhar province, was
the latest in a surge of violence weeks ahead of the war-torn
country`s second presidential elections.
"There was a suicide attack on one of our police posts in
Torkham. A police officer and policeman have been killed,"
regional border police commander Mohammad Zaman Mamozai told
a news agency, adding that another officer was wounded.
The defence ministry meanwhile announced that Afghan
commandos backed by international forces and war planes had
killed 35 rebels in raids on Taliban hideouts in the southern
province of Kandahar yesterday.
Several other insurgents were wounded in the raids in
Shah Wali Kot district in the restive province, the ministry
said in a statement.
"The national army commandos having the support of the
international forces and air force killed 35 enemies who had
massed there to interrupt the people`s lives," the statement
The recent surge in Taliban-linked violence highlights
the threat to Afghanistan`s security as it prepares for its
second-ever presidential elections set for August 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore