Two police, 35 militants killed in Afghan unrest
Jalalabad (Afghanistan): Afghan commandos
backed by foreign forces killed 35 militants in southern
Afghanistan, the defence ministry said on Sunday, as a suicide
bomber killed two police at a border post.
The bombing today at Torkham, a key border crossing
between Afghanistan and Pakistan in Nangarhar province, was
the latest in a surge of violence weeks ahead of the war-torn
country`s second presidential elections.
"There was a suicide attack on one of our police posts in
Torkham. A police officer and policeman have been killed,"
regional border police commander Mohammad Zaman Mamozai told
a news agency, adding that another officer was wounded.
The defence ministry meanwhile announced that Afghan
commandos backed by international forces and war planes had
killed 35 rebels in raids on Taliban hideouts in the southern
province of Kandahar yesterday.
Several other insurgents were wounded in the raids in
Shah Wali Kot district in the restive province, the ministry
said in a statement.
"The national army commandos having the support of the
international forces and air force killed 35 enemies who had
massed there to interrupt the people`s lives," the statement
The recent surge in Taliban-linked violence highlights
the threat to Afghanistan`s security as it prepares for its
second-ever presidential elections set for August 20.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm
- Photo alert! Imran Khan and wife Avantika Malik party with Ranbir Kapoor