Two supporters of independent candidate killed in Pakistan
Islamabad: Two supporters of an independent candidate were killed and three more injured in a shooting in northwest Pakistan on Monday, adding to concerns about security for the landmark general election to be held next month.
The supporters of Abdul Rahem Khan, an independent candidate for a parliamentary constituency in South Waziristan tribal region, were attacked by suspected militants in Dera Ismail Khan area of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.
Two men were killed and three others injured in the attack, police told the media.
The men were ambushed while they were on their way to the inauguration of Khan`s election office.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack though such incidents are usually blamed on the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan.
The shooting came a day after a leader of the secular Awami National Party was killed and another injured in two roadside bomb attacks in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa.
ANP leader Mukarram Shah died when his pick-up truck was targeted with a roadside bomb in the erstwhile Taliban stronghold of Swat.
Another ANP leader, Syed Masoom Shah, and three others were injured when their motorcade was targeted with a roadside bomb in Charsadda district. Shah is a candidate for upcoming polls to the provincial assembly.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attacks on both ANP leaders.
Taliban spokesman Ihsanullah Ihsan told reporters in the northwest that the ANP leaders were attacked because of the "secular views" of their party.
In yet another incident yesterday, police averted a possible terrorist attack by defusing a bomb planted in the house of Pakistan People`s Party leader Muhmmad Naeem Khan at Swabi in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa. Khan is the candidate for upcoming parliamentary elections.
The Taliban warned some weeks ago that they would target leaders and rallies of the ANP, PPP and Muttahida Qaumi Movement in the run-up to the May 11 polls.
Last week, a MQM candidate was gunned down by the Taliban near his home in Hyderabad city of southern Sindh province.
Pakistan will go to the polls on May 11 to choose new national and provincial assemblies, marking the first democratic transition in the country`s 66-year history.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared