Two US Marines killed by prisoner in Afghanistan
Kabul: A prisoner killed two US Marines in
southern Afghanistan after escaping a prayer room and grabbing
a rifle, NATO said on Monday.
The alliance said the gunman was later shot dead and that
the incident, on Saturday, was under investigation.
"The prisoner escaped a room where he was observing
prayer time, acquired a rifle and subsequently engaged Afghan
and coalition forces. The Marines were killed while trying to
subdue the prisoner," said NATO in a statement.
Another NATO soldier was killed by a bomb in the south
today, adding to a toll of victims of explosives laid by
insurgents which is rising almost daily.
Eight foreign troops were killed over the weekend, two by
the prisoner and six by bombs -- the Taliban`s choice weapon
in their southern heartlands of Helmand and Kandahar
provinces, where 30,000 international troops are deployed.
The latest death brings the overall number of foreign
troops killed in Afghanistan this year to 426, compared to 520
for all of 2009, according to a news agency tally based on that kept
by the independent icasualties.org website.
In the southeast, clashes broke out when insurgents
attacked three NATO combat posts, the coalition force said.
The troops came under attack in the rural province of
Paktika, which shares a long, porous border with Pakistani
areas troubled by Taliban militancy. NATO has bases in a few
locations in the province close to the border.
"US and Afghan forces are thwarting insurgent attacks on
three combat operation posts in... Paktika province today,"
The alliance said fighting was continuing and that it
could not give further details on any casualties.
NATO rarely releases statements about insurgent attacks
on their bases unless the raids are significant or cause
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!