Two US Marines killed by prisoner in Afghanistan
Kabul: A prisoner killed two US Marines in
southern Afghanistan after escaping a prayer room and grabbing
a rifle, NATO said on Monday.
The alliance said the gunman was later shot dead and that
the incident, on Saturday, was under investigation.
"The prisoner escaped a room where he was observing
prayer time, acquired a rifle and subsequently engaged Afghan
and coalition forces. The Marines were killed while trying to
subdue the prisoner," said NATO in a statement.
Another NATO soldier was killed by a bomb in the south
today, adding to a toll of victims of explosives laid by
insurgents which is rising almost daily.
Eight foreign troops were killed over the weekend, two by
the prisoner and six by bombs -- the Taliban`s choice weapon
in their southern heartlands of Helmand and Kandahar
provinces, where 30,000 international troops are deployed.
The latest death brings the overall number of foreign
troops killed in Afghanistan this year to 426, compared to 520
for all of 2009, according to a news agency tally based on that kept
by the independent icasualties.org website.
In the southeast, clashes broke out when insurgents
attacked three NATO combat posts, the coalition force said.
The troops came under attack in the rural province of
Paktika, which shares a long, porous border with Pakistani
areas troubled by Taliban militancy. NATO has bases in a few
locations in the province close to the border.
"US and Afghan forces are thwarting insurgent attacks on
three combat operation posts in... Paktika province today,"
The alliance said fighting was continuing and that it
could not give further details on any casualties.
NATO rarely releases statements about insurgent attacks
on their bases unless the raids are significant or cause
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of IS video proving the authenticity of Batla House encounter
- DNA: Analysis of how adulterated food is putting people's lives at risk
- DNA: How Potassium Bromate and Potassium Iodate in breads can cause cancer
- CBI raids Visva Bharati varsity, officers' residences
- Substantial decline in riots and communal incidents: Naqvi
- Meghalaya Board SSLC Results 2016: megresults.nic.in, www.mbose.in; Tura Result 2016, MBOSE Class 10 Examination Result 2016 to be declared today at 10 am
- Mbose.in HSSLC SSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (Megresults.nic.in) MBOSE Tura 10th 12th (Arts) board exam results 2016 to be announced today on May 25
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM