Two US soldiers, French trooper killed in Afghan violence
Kabul: Two US soldiers, a French trooper and
five Afghans were killed in bomb blasts in Afghanistan on Wednesday,
as the UN reported the deadliest year yet for civilians in a
spiralling Taliban-led insurgency.
Also today, a suicide truck bomb rocked a southern Afghan
town, injuring several people, a day after seven people died
in violence at a protest against an alleged desecration of the
Koran by foreign forces, officials said.
The two US soldiers assigned to NATO`s International
Security Assistance Force (ISAF) were killed in a home-made
bomb explosion in eastern Afghanistan, the force said, without
giving the exact location.
"Two ISAF service members from the United States were
killed today as a result of an IED (improvised explosive
device) strike in eastern Afghanistan," the force said in a
Meanwhile a French soldier was killed in an explosives
attack on an armoured vehicle in the Mahmud Raqi region of
eastern Afghanistan, the French presidency said in a
statement. Two other French soldiers were wounded.
The deaths took to nearly 20 the number of foreign forces
killed in Afghanistan since the start of the year, according
to an agency tally based on that kept by the independent
Elsewhere, four Afghan military engineers and a civilian
were killed when a bomb device they were trying to defuse went
off in the eastern province of Khost, said Zahir Wardak, a
senior military official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends