UAE pledges $5 mn to Pakistan relief fund
Dubai: The UAE has pledged to donate USD 5 million for the flood relief operations in Pakistan, where nearly 2,000 people have been killed in the natural disaster.
The UAE donation was announced by Reem Al Hashemi, Minister for State, while addressing a two-day special meeting of the United Nations General Assembly to call for global solidarity to help flood-hit Pakistan.
The floods, which began at the end of July, have affected 20 million. Over 160,000 sq km have been affected by the flood waters, which also destroyed 3.5 million houses.
In her statement before the meeting, al Hashemi expressed profound heart-felt of the government and people of the UAE to the government and people of Pakistan for the great loss in lives and properties, and displacement of millions of Pakistanis.
While voicing UAE`s solidarity with the government and people of Pakistan at these critical times, the UAE minister, who chairs the UAE delegation to the UN gathering, reiterated the UAE`s determination to pursue delivery of urgent and much-needed assistance to save flood-victims and secure their basic daily living requirements in order to resume their life at the nearest opportunity.
"The UAE has allocated three helicopters to airlift and drop relief items to areas ravaged by floods and rescue victims," she added.
"We do realise the tremendous magnitude of devastation Pakistan has experienced and therefore the situation calls boosting international assistance to help Pakistan`s recovery and rehabilitation so as to avoid recurrence of the destructive repercussions of this disaster," she remarked.
She commended the UN and its secretary general for the sincere and persistent efforts they made to coordinate international actions to aid Pakistan at these difficult circumstances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi