UK doubles financial assistance to Nepal
Kathmandu: The United Kingdom has doubled
its financial assistance to Nepal to 100 pounds under its new
plan to support the country`s peace process and governance.
The decision was announced when UK`s Minister for
International Development, Alan Duncan called up Prime
Minister Jhalanath Khanal today.
The British aid will focus on areas such as supporting
peace process and governance, meeting millennium development
goal, adapting to climate change and reducing risks from
disasters, according to the Prime Minister`s office.
During the meeting, Prime Minister Khanal informed the
visiting UK minister that the government is seriously engaged
in accomplishing two important tasks of concluding the peace
process and constitution drafting.
We hope to complete them on time, the Prime Minister
Prime Minister said that since Nepal has seen long
political transition process, the government will now focus
its attention on expediting works relating to economic
development so as to fulfil the aspirations of the people.
British minister said UK`s International Development
Agency DIFD accords high priority to Nepal`s development.
Meanwhile, leader of the main opposition Nepali
Congress Ramchandra Poudyal said the task of integrating and
rehabilitating the Maoist combatants must be completed by
The task of army integration and rehabilitation must
be completed within a month as it is the key component of the
Nepali Congress has been asking the government to
complete the peace process before promulgating the new
constitution. May 28 is the deadline of drafting the new
He said the Nepali Congress would play the role of a
constructive opposition to support the peace process and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city