UK Govt pledges USD 5 million to support Nepal`s peace process
Kathmandu: Britain on Tuesday announced a USD 5.7 million contribution to Nepal Peace Trust Fund (NPTF) to build and strengthen the peace process in the country.
The funds, provided under the UK Multilateral Debt Relief Initiative (MDRI), will go to the NPTF to implement the provisions of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement, according to a press release issued by the UK Embassy in Kathmandu.
According to the agreement, NPTF will utilise the funds to support grassroots peace building initiatives, conflict-affected communities and future elections.
Last year, the UK government provided USD 5.3 million of MDRI funds as a contribution towards government-run programmes for rural electrification and hydro power.
"Consolidating and building peace in Nepal is a key priority for the Government of Nepal and for the international community, including the UK," UK`s Department for International Development head Dominic O?Neill said.
"These funds underline our ongoing commitment to work alongside the government to help establish peace and stability in Nepal and to build a platform for the kind of longer term development which will improve the lives of Nepal`s citizens," he added.
Nepal, in February 2007, established NPTF as a mechanism for interested donors to contribute to the peace process through direct contributions to the government.
Following more than a decade of internal conflict in Nepal, a Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CAP) was signed in 2006 under which the Maoists were brought into mainstream politics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand