UK Govt pledges USD 5 million to support Nepal`s peace process
Kathmandu: Britain on Tuesday announced a USD 5.7 million contribution to Nepal Peace Trust Fund (NPTF) to build and strengthen the peace process in the country.
The funds, provided under the UK Multilateral Debt Relief Initiative (MDRI), will go to the NPTF to implement the provisions of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement, according to a press release issued by the UK Embassy in Kathmandu.
According to the agreement, NPTF will utilise the funds to support grassroots peace building initiatives, conflict-affected communities and future elections.
Last year, the UK government provided USD 5.3 million of MDRI funds as a contribution towards government-run programmes for rural electrification and hydro power.
"Consolidating and building peace in Nepal is a key priority for the Government of Nepal and for the international community, including the UK," UK`s Department for International Development head Dominic O?Neill said.
"These funds underline our ongoing commitment to work alongside the government to help establish peace and stability in Nepal and to build a platform for the kind of longer term development which will improve the lives of Nepal`s citizens," he added.
Nepal, in February 2007, established NPTF as a mechanism for interested donors to contribute to the peace process through direct contributions to the government.
Following more than a decade of internal conflict in Nepal, a Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CAP) was signed in 2006 under which the Maoists were brought into mainstream politics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof