UK police launch searches over Pakistani politician`s murder
London: British counter-terror police on Tuesday searched two residential properties in London as part of an investigation into the murder of Pakistani politician Imran Farooq almost three years ago.
The 50-year-old, a founding member of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM), was attacked as he returned home from work in September 2010.
He died from multiple stab wounds and blunt trauma to the head, a post-mortem examination found.
The searches represent the first public sign of progress in the case in more than a year, although London`s Metropolitan Police Service insisted the investigation remained "active".
"The searches are continuing. There have been no arrests," the police said in a statement.
In September 2011, one year after Farooq`s murder, police offered a reward of £20,000 ($31,000, 23,000 euros) for information that helps lead to a prosecution, and this still stands.
"We remain committed to finding those responsible," a police spokesman told AFP.
Detectives had previously said that while they were open-minded about the motive, the attack would have required careful planning and that Farooq`s killers may have had help.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets