UK provides Rs 5 bn for rural development in Nepal
Kathmandu: The UK on Monday extended a grant assistance of Rs 5.1 billion for the implementation of a rural development programme in Nepal.
Secretary at Nepal`s Ministry of Finance, Shanta Raj Subedi, and Dominic O`Neill, Head of DFID, Nepal, signed the agreement to this effect at a function at the Finance Ministry on Monday.
The main objective of the Rural Access Programme-Phase III is to help secure sustainable rural livelihood for the poor and disadvantaged people for improving income opportunities through employment generation, providing sustainable access to markets and improved access to economic opportunities in the rural programme areas, the UK Embassy in Kathmandu said.
The grant assistance is expected to improve living standards of the people of mid-western and far-western districts including Humla, Bajura, Mugu, Achham, Kalikot, Jumla and Dailekh after its completion by March 2017.
On the occasion, Secretary Subedi said the assistance will make important contribution to uplift the living standards of the people through infrastructure development of the districts.
Similarly, O`Neill pointed out that economic conditions of the people would be improved after the construction, maintenance and upgrading of 2,400 km of roads in the areas within four years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly