UK provides Rs 5 bn for rural development in Nepal
Kathmandu: The UK on Monday extended a grant assistance of Rs 5.1 billion for the implementation of a rural development programme in Nepal.
Secretary at Nepal`s Ministry of Finance, Shanta Raj Subedi, and Dominic O`Neill, Head of DFID, Nepal, signed the agreement to this effect at a function at the Finance Ministry on Monday.
The main objective of the Rural Access Programme-Phase III is to help secure sustainable rural livelihood for the poor and disadvantaged people for improving income opportunities through employment generation, providing sustainable access to markets and improved access to economic opportunities in the rural programme areas, the UK Embassy in Kathmandu said.
The grant assistance is expected to improve living standards of the people of mid-western and far-western districts including Humla, Bajura, Mugu, Achham, Kalikot, Jumla and Dailekh after its completion by March 2017.
On the occasion, Secretary Subedi said the assistance will make important contribution to uplift the living standards of the people through infrastructure development of the districts.
Similarly, O`Neill pointed out that economic conditions of the people would be improved after the construction, maintenance and upgrading of 2,400 km of roads in the areas within four years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’