UK seeks end to political deadlock in Nepal
Kathmandu: The UK asked political leaders
to end the deadlock over the extension of Nepal`s legislature,
which is set to expire today, amid fears that it could lead to
a constitutional crisis and chaos in the country.
Alan Dunkan, the UK Minister of State for
International Development, met embattled Prime Minister Madhav
Kumar Nepal and other senior political leaders and asked them
to forge a consensus to break the political deadlock.
The minister, who also met Maoist deputy chairman
Baburam Bhattarai, said that it is up to the Nepalese people
to decide how they arrive at consensus.
Nepal`s ruling coalition last week introduced a bill
in the 601-Assembly to extend the term of the House for one
year so that it can finish the task of framing a new
Leaders of the three major political parties -- the
main Opposition CPN-Maoist, the Nepali Congress and the prime
minister`s Communist Party of Nepal (United Marxist Leninist)
-- have failed to reach an agreement to end the standoff over
the extension of the Constituent Assembly.
The expiry of the House will lead to the end of the
mandate of the interim constitution, creating a political
chaos and constitutional crisis, according to experts.
Dunkan said UK, which is one of largest financial aid
provider to the country, would continue to give development
assistance despite a new coalition government taking office in
The government of UK would like to continue the
assistance being provided to Nepal despite the recent changes
in our government, said Dunkan, who was here for a brief
He said UK government will continue its help to make
differences to the lives of poor people in Nepal.
UK currently provides 56 million pound annually for
various development projects in Nepal.
The UK minister also paid a visit to Bhojapur and
Biratnagar to review development programmes being undertaken
by the UK government`s Department of International
Development, according to a press release by the British
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof