UK seeks end to political deadlock in Nepal
Kathmandu: The UK asked political leaders
to end the deadlock over the extension of Nepal`s legislature,
which is set to expire today, amid fears that it could lead to
a constitutional crisis and chaos in the country.
Alan Dunkan, the UK Minister of State for
International Development, met embattled Prime Minister Madhav
Kumar Nepal and other senior political leaders and asked them
to forge a consensus to break the political deadlock.
The minister, who also met Maoist deputy chairman
Baburam Bhattarai, said that it is up to the Nepalese people
to decide how they arrive at consensus.
Nepal`s ruling coalition last week introduced a bill
in the 601-Assembly to extend the term of the House for one
year so that it can finish the task of framing a new
Leaders of the three major political parties -- the
main Opposition CPN-Maoist, the Nepali Congress and the prime
minister`s Communist Party of Nepal (United Marxist Leninist)
-- have failed to reach an agreement to end the standoff over
the extension of the Constituent Assembly.
The expiry of the House will lead to the end of the
mandate of the interim constitution, creating a political
chaos and constitutional crisis, according to experts.
Dunkan said UK, which is one of largest financial aid
provider to the country, would continue to give development
assistance despite a new coalition government taking office in
The government of UK would like to continue the
assistance being provided to Nepal despite the recent changes
in our government, said Dunkan, who was here for a brief
He said UK government will continue its help to make
differences to the lives of poor people in Nepal.
UK currently provides 56 million pound annually for
various development projects in Nepal.
The UK minister also paid a visit to Bhojapur and
Biratnagar to review development programmes being undertaken
by the UK government`s Department of International
Development, according to a press release by the British
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly