UK troops destroy huge cache of Taliban explosives: Report
London: British troops have found and destroyed a monster cache of Taliban explosives, enough to blast off "30 pairs of legs" in Afghanistan.
The quarter-tonne haul of explosives along with pressure plates to turn it into lethal booby-trap bombs, was found by troops from A Squadron, The Light Dragoons, Brigade Reconnaissance Force.
They chanced on it hidden in a ditch - or wadi - in the Taliban`s backyard of Nahr-e Saraj, Helmand, The Sun reported today.
Squadron Sergeant Major Brian Howard, said: "The bomb disposal guys said we had probably saved 60 limbs, or 30 pairs of legs".
He told how they moved in under cover after spotting a blue tarpaulin in the wadi.
British bomb disposal experts blew the haul sky high.
Trooper Jamie McCartney, who uncovered the stash, said: "Finding this stuff has had a huge impact on the enemy`s ability to strike us and the local people.
"It`s a job well done. Each bit we do helps us to get on top," he said.
A total of 14 British troops have been killed in the past three years in Afghanistan. British troops are part of the Nato-led international force in the war-torn country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29