UN chief calls for peaceful presidential polls in Maldives
United Nations: In the wake of the Maldivian Supreme Court annulling results of the first phase of presidential polls, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has called on Male to ensure an inclusive and credible process for a fresh vote scheduled to be held again later this month.
The country`s Supreme Court has annulled the results of the first round of polls, which had been held on September 7 and has called for a new vote.
"The Secretary-General takes note of the Maldivian Supreme Court`s decision ordering fresh presidential elections to be held within a new time frame," Ban`s spokesperson said in a statement.
Ban "once again calls on all Maldivians to ensure a peaceful, inclusive and credible process for these elections."
The spokesperson said Ban "acknowledges the continuing efforts by the Elections Commission of the Maldives.""
The Commission has announced that a revote will be held on October 19. The election had been seen as an important step in the country’s democratic transition.
The Maldives underwent a change of government in 2012, when the previous democratically-elected President Mohamed Nasheed had resigned.
He was succeeded by his former deputy Mohammed Waheed Hassan. The apex court ruling is seen as a major blow to Nasheed who had emerged as the winner in the first round.
The court had late last month suspended presidential elections following a legal challenge, sparking protests and fears of fresh instability in the troubled Indian Ocean archipelago.
The directive came in response to a case filed by a political party demanding that the results of the first round on September 7 be annulled because of alleged discrepancies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday