UN chief `deeply saddened` by losses in Pakistan floods
New York: UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has been "deeply saddened" by the loss of lives and livelihoods in Pakistan due to floods, the worst in eight decades, in which more than 1,100 people have been killed.
"The secretary-general is deeply saddened by the significant loss of lives, livelihoods, and infrastructure in Pakistan, following the recent heavy monsoon rains that have caused the worst floods in the last 80 years, affecting more than one million of people," Xinhua quoted Ban as saying in a statement.
Ban offered his "deepest condolences to the people and government of Pakistan" and reiterated the UN`s full commitment to supporting the country "in meeting the humanitarian needs of the population affected".
In addition to the aid the United Nations is already providing, the secretary general is authorising the disbursement of up to USD 10 million from the Central Emergency Response Fund to help address the pressing needs of the population, the statement said.
Continuing floods and monsoon rains have reportedly killed more than 1,100 people and affected over 1.5 million in different parts of Pakistan as of Sunday.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province has been the worst hit with over 500 houses washed away by floodwaters. Over 90 highways have been damaged and many big thoroughfares in the province closed for traffic.
With more rain forecast for the next 24 hours, some areas face further threats, reports said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?