UN chief `deeply saddened` by losses in Pakistan floods
New York: UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has been "deeply saddened" by the loss of lives and livelihoods in Pakistan due to floods, the worst in eight decades, in which more than 1,100 people have been killed.
"The secretary-general is deeply saddened by the significant loss of lives, livelihoods, and infrastructure in Pakistan, following the recent heavy monsoon rains that have caused the worst floods in the last 80 years, affecting more than one million of people," Xinhua quoted Ban as saying in a statement.
Ban offered his "deepest condolences to the people and government of Pakistan" and reiterated the UN`s full commitment to supporting the country "in meeting the humanitarian needs of the population affected".
In addition to the aid the United Nations is already providing, the secretary general is authorising the disbursement of up to USD 10 million from the Central Emergency Response Fund to help address the pressing needs of the population, the statement said.
Continuing floods and monsoon rains have reportedly killed more than 1,100 people and affected over 1.5 million in different parts of Pakistan as of Sunday.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province has been the worst hit with over 500 houses washed away by floodwaters. Over 90 highways have been damaged and many big thoroughfares in the province closed for traffic.
With more rain forecast for the next 24 hours, some areas face further threats, reports said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!