UN Chief monitoring situation in Maldives
United Nations: UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon is monitoring with "concern" the developments in Maldives where former president Mohamed Nasheed has sought refuge in the Indian High Commission.
Ban urged all political parties to exercise restraint, renew their commitment to the Constitution and work toward creating conducive conditions for fair, peaceful and inclusive elections.
"All parties contesting the September 7 presidential elections should be able to field the candidates of their choice in accordance with the rule of law and the Constitution," a statement issued by Ban`s spokesperson here said.
Indian External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid spoke on the phone with his Maldivian counterpart Abdul Samad Abdullah to resolve the "unusual situation" arising out of Nasheed seeking refuge in the Indian Mission in Male.
Khurshid has expressed hope that a solution "to the satisfaction of everybody" would be found.
Nasheed, 45, has taken refuge in the Indian High Commission in Male to evade arrest warrant issued by a local court in a case concerning the detention of Chief Judge of the Criminal Court during his Presidency in January last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof