UN chief sends Lanka report to UN rights council
United Nations: UN chief Ban Ki-moon on Tuesday
sent a report to the UN Human Rights Council that accuses Sri
Lankan troops of killing tens of thousands of people during
the civil war, a development that will mount pressure on
Colombo for an international probe.
The report on accountability issues by Moon`s panel of
experts has been sent to the United Nations human rights chief
and the President of the Human Rights Council.
The report of the three-member panel, which was released
in April, found that there were credible allegations against
both government forces as well as the rebel Liberation Tigers
of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) of committing war crimes in the months
leading up to May 2009, when Sri Lankan forces declared
victory over the separatists.
"The Sri Lankan Government has been informed of the
Secretary-General`s decision to share the report with the
Council and the High Commissioner," UN spokesman Martin
Nesirky said here.
"While the Secretary-General had given time to the
Government of Sri Lanka to respond to the report, the
government has declined to do so, and instead has produced its
own reports on the situation in the north of Sri Lanka, which
are being forwarded along with the panel of experts report,"
A panel of experts had said that the Sri Lankan army
killed most of the tens of thousands of civilian victims in a
final offensive against Tamil separatists in 2009 but both
sides may be guilty of war crimes.
Ban has said the Human Rights Council could order an
inquiry into the killings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read