UN commission probing Bhutto killing meets Zardari
Islamabad: President Asif Ali Zardari on Wednesday
said the people of Pakistan are awaiting the findings of the
UN panel probing the assassination of his wife, former premier
Benazir Bhutto, so that the circumstances behind her death
could be fully uncovered.
"The whole nation awaits the findings of the UN
Commission so that the causes and the circumstances that led
to such a great loss for the nation could be completely
unearthed," Zardari told members of the panel currently
visiting Pakistan during a meeting.
Bhutto`s stature called for an "independent, transparent
and above board investigation so that no accusation of bias of
any kind could be made by any circle," Zardari said.
The President hoped the proceedings and probe is "being
properly facilitated and enquired about any difficulty the
commission might be facing in conducting" its work.
The commission was originally scheduled to submit its
report to the UN Secretary General within six months from
starting its investigation in June last year.
However, the time for completing the task was extended by
three months as the report could not be completed in the
The commission will submit its report to the UN Secretary
General and also share it with the Pakistan government,
presidential spokesman Farhatullah Babar said.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik, Secretary General to the
President Salman Faruqui and senior officials were present
during the commission`s meeting with the President.
Babar said the terms of reference of the commission
included "freedom of access to all sources of information,
including documentary material and physical evidence, freedom
to interview representatives of governmental, as well as other
institutions and, in principle, any individual whose testimony
is considered necessary" for the probe.
Bhutto was killed in a gun-and-bomb attack after
addressing an election rally in the garrison city of
Rawalpindi in December 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!