UN concern over Nepal war crimes suspect in govt
Kathmandu: The United Nations voiced concern on Thursday over a decision by Nepal`s Maoist-led government to appoint a minister accused of war crimes during the country`s 10-year insurgency.
The Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) urged Nepalese authorities to investigate Suryaman Dong`s alleged involvement in the death of Arjun Lama, whom witnesses say was abducted from his village in 2005 by Maoist insurgents and later killed.
The OHCHR said in a statement the appointment would "undermine efforts to address impunity in the country, and taint recent positive progress on the peace process".
The OHCHR also criticised the Maoists for seeking clemency for lawmaker Bal Krishna Dhungel, who was convicted in 2004 on murder charges.
"Such decisions will establish a trend to entrench impunity and send the wrong message at the wrong time," Jyoti Sanghera, head of the OHCHR in Nepal, was quoted as saying.
"The government should respect Nepal`s judiciary and the rule of law."
But the Maoists dismissed the statement as "politically motivated".
"This has come as a political slogan. I don`t want to blame everyone but there are certain people who want to gain political advantage by raising this issue," said Skakti Bassnet, a member of the party`s politburo, without elaborating.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!