UN confident Afghan vote to be resolved before winter
Kabul: The United Nations is confident Afghanistan`s election can be resolved before winter, with ballots already being printed to hold a second round if a fraud investigation makes that necessary, a spokesman said on Sunday.
Preliminary results show president Hamid Karzai with 54.6 percent of the vote -- enough to win the August 20 poll in a single round -- but a UN-backed watchdog has ordered a partial recount because of fraud.
If the recount eliminates enough of Karzai`s votes so that he no longer scores more than 50 percent, a second round must be held against his main opponent, former foreign minister Abdullah Abdullah.
A senior Afghan election official said on Saturday that a second round, if necessary, would have to be held by the third week in October or be postponed until next year because of harsh weather that makes much of the country inaccessible.
That would give the fraud investigators just two weeks to complete their recount to allow two more weeks for campaigning.
UN spokesman Aleem Siddique said he was confident the recount could be completed fast enough to either crown Karzai the victor in the first round or hold the run-off this year.
As a precaution, officials have already ordered ballot papers printed up for the possible second round, he said.
"We all recognise the difficulty in holding a second round as winter approaches, but all that does is increase our determination to put all our efforts into having a second round this year, if it`s needed," Siddique said.
The UN-backed Electoral Complaints Commission has ordered a recount of about 10 percent of polling stations after finding "clear and convincing evidence of fraud."
An EU observer mission describes as "suspicious" more than a quarter of votes, including more than a third of those cast for Karzai. The President acknowledges some fraud, but says its extent was exaggerated by the media and foreign observers.
Afghanistan`s election commission has been discussing with the UN-backed ECC how to carry out the recount it ordered as quickly as possible to avoid postponement of a run-off.
Western diplomats say putting off a second round until next year could make Afghanistan more unstable.
Siddique said the fraud investigation could be speeded up by testing a sample of ballots from suspicious polling stations and using mathematical models to determine whether the fraud could have been extensive enough to overturn Karzai`s victory.
"This is a question of mathematics," he said. "You just have to make sure that the sample size is large enough."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India