UN launches polio immunisation drive in Pak, Afghanistan
United Nations: The UN has launched a massive polio immunisation drive in Afghanistan and Pakistan during which millions of children are expected to receive vaccination of the deadly disease.
The three-day polio immunisation drive is being launched jointly by the United Nations Children`s Fund (UNICEF), the World Health Organization (WHO) and the UN political mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) to tackle the spread of the deadly disease, the UN said yesterday.
Afghanistan and Pakistan are the two countries among the four in the world where polio is still endemic.
While in Afghanistan, an estimated 2.8 million children under the age of five will be targeted by the new campaign, in Pakistan, the campaign is concentrated but not limited to high-risk border districts as a result of the polio outbreak last year close to the Afghan border.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31