UN launches polio immunisation drive in Pak, Afghanistan
United Nations: The UN has launched a massive polio immunisation drive in Afghanistan and Pakistan during which millions of children are expected to receive vaccination of the deadly disease.
The three-day polio immunisation drive is being launched jointly by the United Nations Children`s Fund (UNICEF), the World Health Organization (WHO) and the UN political mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) to tackle the spread of the deadly disease, the UN said yesterday.
Afghanistan and Pakistan are the two countries among the four in the world where polio is still endemic.
While in Afghanistan, an estimated 2.8 million children under the age of five will be targeted by the new campaign, in Pakistan, the campaign is concentrated but not limited to high-risk border districts as a result of the polio outbreak last year close to the Afghan border.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Had just 10 seconds to decide on crash landing after both engines of air ambulance collapsed: Pilot
- Indian woman delivers world's heaviest baby in Karnataka
- Ajay Devgn in trouble? Complaint against actor over 'Shivaay' poster
- Apple explores charging stations for electric vehicles
- Bipasha Basu speaks about husband Karan Singh Grover’s previous marriages - Click here to read