UN medical convoy hit in Pak, polio doctor hurt
Karachi: Unidentified gunmen on Tuesday opened fire on a UN vehicle in the southern Pakistani port city of Karachi injuring a foreign doctor working on a polio immunisation campaign and a local driver.
The UN Land Cruiser vehicle was passing through Koochi Camp near Sohrab Goth when the motorcycle-borne gunmen fired.
Police said the Ghanaian doctor, identified only as Dr Fostan, was going to a polio immunisation clinic in Koochi Camp, one of the Afghan refugee settlements here, when gunmen opened fire on his vehicle.
Police sources said the doctor and his driver had received injuries and were taken to hospital.
Police sources said initial investigations showed that two young Afghan men had opened fire on the vehicle.
Taliban commanders have banned the polio immunisation drive in the North and South Waziristan claiming they would not allow it until the US stops its drone attacks on innocent people.
"One of our drivers and a health staff member were injured but they are presently both stable", the spokesman from the UN`s World Health Organisation (WHO) said.
Additional Inspector General of Police Iqbal Mahmood said that the doctor had not informed them about his movements for today.
"Otherwise we provide police protection to all foreigners in Karachi, specially when they are moving around", Iqbal said.
He said police had arrested four suspects with arms from the refugee camp.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state