UN plans six-day mission to Afghanistan, Pakistan
Beijing: Humanitarian emergency directors from various UN agencies will travel on a six-day mission to Afghanistan and Pakistan, the United Nations said on Thursday.
During the visit from May 26 to June 1, the directors will see for themselves "the ongoing humanitarian operations in the countries and look into ways in which the humanitarian community can strengthen its response to meet the needs of communities affected by conflict, natural disasters and displacement," a media advisory released here said.
While in both countries, the officials will meet with government authorities to discuss operational challenges for humanitarian programs in both countries, it said.
More specifically, in Afghanistan, they are planning to meet with representatives from aid organizations and undertake field visits to better assess the humanitarian needs in the country, said the advisory.
While in Pakistan the officials are scheduled to visit the Jalozai Camp, which is now home to about 12,500 families displaced by the complex emergencies in the region. After that, they are hoping to visit communities affected by recurrent floods in Sindh province, the advisory added.
The members of the six-day mission includes directors from the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), the United Nations Children Fund (UNICEF), the World Food Program (WFP) , the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), the United Nations Population Fund ( UNFPA) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31