UN supports Afghan vote fraud probe
Kabul: The UN special envoy to
Afghanistan Kai Eide on Monday threw his full support behind the
Electoral Complaints Commission (ECC) as the organisation
investigates allegations of fraud during last week`s polls.
Several candidates, Afghan and international election
monitors and voters have alleged widespread irregularities
during Afghanistan`s second ever Presidential and provincial
council polls, held last Thursday.
The ECC, where three out of five top officials were
appointed by Eide, said it had registered 225 complaints, of
which 35 were high priority and could affect the outcome of
"The ECC has my full confidence," Eide told reporters
after meeting ECC members in the Afghan capital.
Eide said there was no doubt that irregularities had
taken place and stressed it was critical for the whole
electoral process for the ECC to detect and address fraud.
"It is not my job to define how significant and how
widespread those irregularities have been. That is up to the
process that now follows and where the ECC will play a
critical role," he said.
Eide congratulated Afghans for voting despite Taliban
intimidation and security concerns. He called on all parties
involved to be patient and give the ECC enough time to
investigate all complaints.
"I know that the ECC would work as intensively as
they possibly can in way that demonstrates respect for the
voters and for the process," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks