UN vote: US bullied countries, claims Sri Lanka
Colombo: Sri Lanka has rejected a UN resolution urging it to seek an independent investigation into government atrocities carried out in country’s 26-year civil war against the Tamil Tigers in 2009, saying countries were bullied into supporting the resolution against it by the US and other ‘powerful countries’.
The country’s Foreign Minister GL Peiris said the nations, which supported Sri Lanka, were ‘acutely conscious of the danger of setting a precedent which enables ad hoc intervention by powerful countries in the internal affairs of other nations’.
“The government would not bow to international demands for an inquiry,” The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Peiris, as saying.
The UN’s 47-member Human Rights Council has passed the resolution, which called on Sri Lanka to allow an independent probe into allegations the government committed war crimes against the separatist Tamil Tigers.
According to the paper, any probe could be acutely uncomfortable for the Sri Lankan government, reaching to the very top of the Mahinda Rajapaksa family-dominated administration.
Meanwhile, people launched mass protests in Sri Lanka, condemning the UN, and carrying pictures of Rajapaksa, who, they say, freed their country from terrorism.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know