Unclaimed bodies of factory fire victims buried
Karachi: The bodies of 17 of the victims who died in a factory fire in Pakistan’s worst industrial disaster last year have been finally buried after nearly five months, a government official said on Sunday.
"Those buried today in Baldia graveyard were victims whose bodies were not claimed by anyone and we had orders from the Sindh high court to bury those bodies," said Ali Leghari, the Deputy Commissioner of District (west), where the fire had occurred.
The factory fire in the city’s Baldia area killed 259 workers on September 11 last year and affected families claim that some loved ones were still missing.
"These 17 bodies had been lying at the Edhi Trust morgue for the last five months and we hoped they would be identified. However, no one claimed them,” Leghari said.
"We had even tried to identify them through DNA testing. If later any of them are identified through matching DNA test results we can have the bodies exhumed and handed over to relatives (of the deceased)," he added.
The two owners of the factory, Shahid and Arshad Bhaila, along with its senior managers were recently granted bail by the Sindh high court after police dropped murder charges against them.
The owners have said they were providing full compensation to the families of the victims of the fire which has been blamed on poor safety measures.
Most of the people in the garments factory fire died due to suffocation or burns.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks