Uniformed man kills 3 US soldiers in Afghanistan
Kabul: In the latest violence in Afghanistan, three American soldiers have been killed by a uniformed Afghan man.
The incident took place in the southern Helmand province.
"All we know is that they were killed by an Afghan in a uniform of some sort," a spokeswoman for NATO-led forces in Afghanistan told a news agency on Friday. She added that it was too early to say if the shootings were by a rogue security force member or a Taliban infiltrator.
The three slain soldiers belonged to the special forces. The shooting happened when they were attending a meeting in Sangin District late on Thursday.
So-called green on blue shootings, in which Afghan police or soldiers turn their guns on their Western mentors, have seriously eroded trust between the allies as NATO combat soldiers prepare to hand over to Afghan forces by 2014, after which most foreign forces will leave the country.
According to NATO, there have been 24 such attacks on foreign troops since January in which 28 people have been killed. Last year, there were 21 attacks in which 35 people were killed.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video