Uniformed man kills 3 US soldiers in Afghanistan
Kabul: In the latest violence in Afghanistan, three American soldiers have been killed by a uniformed Afghan man.
The incident took place in the southern Helmand province.
"All we know is that they were killed by an Afghan in a uniform of some sort," a spokeswoman for NATO-led forces in Afghanistan told a news agency on Friday. She added that it was too early to say if the shootings were by a rogue security force member or a Taliban infiltrator.
The three slain soldiers belonged to the special forces. The shooting happened when they were attending a meeting in Sangin District late on Thursday.
So-called green on blue shootings, in which Afghan police or soldiers turn their guns on their Western mentors, have seriously eroded trust between the allies as NATO combat soldiers prepare to hand over to Afghan forces by 2014, after which most foreign forces will leave the country.
According to NATO, there have been 24 such attacks on foreign troops since January in which 28 people have been killed. Last year, there were 21 attacks in which 35 people were killed.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi