Uniformed man kills 3 US soldiers in Afghanistan
Kabul: In the latest violence in Afghanistan, three American soldiers have been killed by a uniformed Afghan man.
The incident took place in the southern Helmand province.
"All we know is that they were killed by an Afghan in a uniform of some sort," a spokeswoman for NATO-led forces in Afghanistan told a news agency on Friday. She added that it was too early to say if the shootings were by a rogue security force member or a Taliban infiltrator.
The three slain soldiers belonged to the special forces. The shooting happened when they were attending a meeting in Sangin District late on Thursday.
So-called green on blue shootings, in which Afghan police or soldiers turn their guns on their Western mentors, have seriously eroded trust between the allies as NATO combat soldiers prepare to hand over to Afghan forces by 2014, after which most foreign forces will leave the country.
According to NATO, there have been 24 such attacks on foreign troops since January in which 28 people have been killed. Last year, there were 21 attacks in which 35 people were killed.
(With Agency inputs)
- Deepika Padukone in Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’? Kabir Khan has an answer
- Donald Trump the `presumptive` White House nominee as Cruz crashes out
- Karan Singh Grover’s words for Bipasha Basu will restore your faith in love – Check them out
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on