US, Afghan forces attack al-Qaida compound
Kabul: American and Afghan forces stormed a
mountainside compound in eastern Afghanistan that had been
used by an al-Qaida commander, killing more than a dozen
militants in a gunbattle, the US military said on Sunday.
The clash comes amid a debate in the US about whether to
send more forces to Afghanistan to gain control of the country
or to more narrowly target terrorists taking refuge in the
mountainous region that straddles eastern Afghanistan and
Al-Qaida`s leadership is widely assumed to be hiding in
Pakistan, though Afghan officials have said they believe
foreign fighters are increasingly crossing into their country
to bolster the Taliban insurgency.
The fighting yesterday started when the troops pushed
into the compound in eastern Kunar province in the hopes of
capturing those inside, said US military spokeswoman Capt
Elizabeth Mathias. They quickly came under fire, sparking a
clash in which more than 12 insurgents died, she said.
There were no casualties among the allied troops or
civilians, Mathias added.
Provincial government spokesman Gen. Khalilullah Zaiyi
said 18 insurgents were killed in the fighting in Mano Gai
district, in the Pech valley.
Some militants were detained, Mathias said. She did not
have information on whether any al-Qaida operatives were among
those captured or killed, nor did she give the name of the
terrorist commander believed to have used the compound.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!