US, Afghanistan agree on prison handover: Pentagon
Washington: The United States would transfer the Parwan detention facility to Afghan control by tomorrow, the Pentagon has announced following a telephonic conversation between the Afghan President Hamid Karzai and the US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel.
"Secretary Hagel spoke with Afghan President Karzai this morning about an agreement reached today to transfer the Detention Facility in Parwan to the sovereign control of Afghanistan on Monday," the Pentagon Press Secretary George Little told reporters here yesterday.
The agreement follows an intensified round of discussions this week between US and Afghan officials, he said in a statement.
Hagel welcomed Karzai`s commitment that the transfer will be carried out in a way that ensures the safety of the Afghan people and coalition forces by keeping dangerous individuals detained in a secure and humane manner in accordance with Afghan law, Little said.
The detention facility is a United States-run prison located next to Bagram Airfield in the Parwan Province of Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- Sheena Bora on Indrani Mukerjea in her diary: `I hate my mother...she is a witch`
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported