US, Afghanistan agree on prison handover: Pentagon
Washington: The United States would transfer the Parwan detention facility to Afghan control by tomorrow, the Pentagon has announced following a telephonic conversation between the Afghan President Hamid Karzai and the US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel.
"Secretary Hagel spoke with Afghan President Karzai this morning about an agreement reached today to transfer the Detention Facility in Parwan to the sovereign control of Afghanistan on Monday," the Pentagon Press Secretary George Little told reporters here yesterday.
The agreement follows an intensified round of discussions this week between US and Afghan officials, he said in a statement.
Hagel welcomed Karzai`s commitment that the transfer will be carried out in a way that ensures the safety of the Afghan people and coalition forces by keeping dangerous individuals detained in a secure and humane manner in accordance with Afghan law, Little said.
The detention facility is a United States-run prison located next to Bagram Airfield in the Parwan Province of Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'