US asks Colombo, Tamil Diaspora to seek political reconciliation
Washington: The US has asked the Sri Lankan government and the American Tamil community to seek opportunities to engage one another on political reconciliation and the reconstruction of Sri Lanka.
The call was made by US Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asian Affairs Robert Blake and US Charge d`Affaires in Sri Lanka James Moore in a meeting with 16 representatives of US-based organisations representing members of the Tamil Diaspora on Tuesday.
During the discussion at the State Department with Moore joining through a digital video conference at the US embassy in Colombo, the two officials underscored the importance of political reconciliation, the State Department said.
The US has stressed to the government that to achieve a lasting peace, it must promote justice and political reconciliation for all parties, dialogue with all parties, including Tamils inside and outside Sri Lanka on new mechanisms for devolving power, and improve human rights.
Blake and Moore welcomed the opportunity to listen to the concerns and perspectives of the American Tamil Diaspora community and to share the steps the US is taking to address the humanitarian crisis.
The US has provided USD 56 million in humanitarian assistance in 2009. While the Sri Lanka government has made some progress easing camp congestion, registering internally displaced persons (IDPs), and expanding access by humanitarian organisations, much remains to be done, the officials said.
The US is urging the safe and speedy return of IDPs, continued access for international humanitarian organizations, and the registration and provision of national identification cards to IDPs, to help promote freedom of movement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’