US begins probe into American`s abduction in Pak
Islamabad: The US has begun its own investigation into the kidnapping of an American in Lahore.
Warren Weinstein, 63, was kidnapped on August 13 from his home in Lahore city by nearly 10 people.
Two officials of the US Consulate in Lahore visited Weinstein`s home on Wednesday for their own investigation and evidence collection, reported Dawn.
The US officials examined all the rooms at the victim`s home, said police sources.
They inspected telephones and equipment installed in the house and also took a look at a BlackBerry phone and a laptop.
The BlackBerry was locked and the help of the cellular company concerned would be taken to unlock it.
Ali Aamir Malik, a senior police official, had said that police were questioning the victim`s driver Mohammad Israr who had worked with the American for several years.
Weinstein was a university professor who was associated with poverty alleviation and economic development projects, Malik said and added that he was apparently not a high-priority target for terrorists.
A US undercover agent, Raymond Davis, had fatally shot two Pakistanis in Lahore in February, which had caused deep rift in relationship between the intelligence agencies of the two countries.
The ties between Islamabad and Washington were further strained after the May 02 killing of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden in Abbottabad by US commandos in a sneak raid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?