US: Bill to award Congressional Gold Medal to Malala
Washington: A legislation to award the prestigious Congressional Gold Medal to Malala Yousufzai, the Pakistani peace activist who was shot in her head by Taliban, has been reintroduced in the US Congress.
Introduced by Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee, the House Resolution (No 60) calls to award Congressional Gold Medal to Malala in recognition of her devoted service to education, justice and equality in Pakistan.
Malala, who was shot in her head last year by Taliban for her girl education campaign, was discharged from a British hospital on Friday. Noting that Malala is a symbol of hope in a country long beset by violence and despair, the resolution says that she represents the future of Pakistan and is the new face of the country and an advocate for human rights for women.
Jackson-Lee had first introduced the resolution in the 112th Congress on November 13, 2012, and was sponsored by nearly three dozen Congressmen. Since it was not passed by the Congress, it has been re-introduced in the new Congress this week.
"Malala stood against the oppressive policies imposed upon the citizens of Pakistan by the Taliban. Her stand for education for girl and gender equality resulted in a fatwa issued by the Taliban calling for her death," Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee wrote in her letter to US lawmakers in 2012.
Meanwhile, the State Department yesterday said the bravery and courage of young Malala is an inspiration for all. "Our thoughts and prayers remain with her and with her family. And her bravery and courage are just an inspiration for all of us," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said at her daily news conference. She was responding to a question on discharge of Malala from the hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad