US commends high turnout in Lanka election
Washington: The United States today
commended the people of Sri Lanka for an impressive turnout in
the first presidential election of the country after the
defeat of the LTTE last year.
"We commend the people of Sri Lanka for a 72 per cent
turnout. That is something that is truly remarkable,"
Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs P J Crowley
told reporters at his daily news briefing.
"We`ll have more to say after the election results are
announced," the senior official said.
Sri Lankan voters exercised their franchise in the
country`s first post-LTTE presidential election yesterday,
expected to be a close finish between incumbent Mahinda
Rajapaksa and his main challenger Gen Sarath Fonseka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers