US condemns upsurge of violence in Pakistan
Washington: The US today condemned political violence in Pakistan ahead of the country`s historic May 11 general elections and hoped that people would be able to cast their votes without any fear.
"The US condemns the recent violence that has targeted politicians and their supporters during the electoral campaign in Pakistan.
We likewise condemn recent statements by militant groups indicating their intent to disrupt Pakistan`s democratic process," State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell told reporters.
"We support the right of the Pakistani people to participate fully in the election of their representatives and their ability to fulfill their aspirations for a peaceful, prosperous and democratic nation," he said in response to a question.
"More broadly, the US looks forward to witnessing timely, transparent, free and fair elections on May 11th. These elections will mark an important democratic transition and historic development of which the people of Pakistan can be very proud," Ventrell said.
The United States, he said, does not support any particular political party or any individual candidate.
"We look forward to engaging the next democratically elected government in Pakistan," he said.
"We condemn the violence surrounding the elections. We do continue to urge Pakistanis to get out and vote and express their free will, so that democracy can prevail and the people`s voice can be heard. And so we`re concerned about the violence but we urge the electoral process to continue," Ventrell said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’