US Cong imposes tough restrictions on military aid to Pak
Washington: Taking on board India`s
concerns, the US Congress today cleared a bill that sets out
tough conditions on the USD 2.3 billion military assistance to
Pakistan to make sure that these funds are not squandered or
diverted to affect the "balance of power in the region".
The military assistance is to be given in one year and
is in addition to the USD 1.5 billion non-military aid being
given to Pakistan per annum for the next five years as
approved by the Kerry-Lugar Bill, which was signed into law by
US President Barack Obama early this month.
"We can`t lose sight of the very reason Pakistan
receives these funds: they are a reimbursement for expenses
incurred fighting terrorists and supporting US-led efforts to
do the same," Senator Bob Menendez, a Democrat, said.
"That fight is important to our own national security,
and we have to ensure that our support for it is not being
squandered or diverted. It is not only right for us to ensure
that American taxpayer money does what it is intended to do,
it is our duty as stewards of the national security and of
taxpayer money," he said.
The USD 2.3 billion aid to Pakistan is part of USD 680
billion 2010 Defense Authorisation Bill, which was passed by
the Senate yesterday and the House of Representatives early
The bill now goes to Obama to sign it into law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark