US consulate car carried fake number plate: Report
Lahore: A US consulate car, which knocked
down and killed a man while it was speeding to assist an
American who had shot dead two suspected robbers in Pakistan`s
Lahore city, had a fake number plate, a media report said
The car, which hit two pedestrians near the scene of the
shooting yesterday killing one of them who was identified as
Abadur Rehman, carried a fake number plate, `Geo News`
reported, quoting unnamed sources.
The car was actually registered in the name of one Sufi
Munawwar Hussain, a resident of Sahiwal district, it said.
The consulate staff in the vehicle was on their way to
aid an American employee -- identified by media reports as
Raymond Davis, who had shot and killed two motorcycle-borne
men, who pulled up alongside his car at a traffic light and
apparently tried to rob him in Mazang Chowke area here.
Senior police officer Umar Saeed said yesterday that the
American had told police he had withdrawn money from an ATM
shortly before the incident, raising the possibility the two
men were following him.
Others police officers said the men were possibly robbers
and carrying pistols.
The American has been booked for murder and will be
prosecuted according to Pakistani laws, Rana Sanaullah, the
Law Minister of Punjab province, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand