US consulate car carried fake number plate: Report
Lahore: A US consulate car, which knocked
down and killed a man while it was speeding to assist an
American who had shot dead two suspected robbers in Pakistan`s
Lahore city, had a fake number plate, a media report said
The car, which hit two pedestrians near the scene of the
shooting yesterday killing one of them who was identified as
Abadur Rehman, carried a fake number plate, `Geo News`
reported, quoting unnamed sources.
The car was actually registered in the name of one Sufi
Munawwar Hussain, a resident of Sahiwal district, it said.
The consulate staff in the vehicle was on their way to
aid an American employee -- identified by media reports as
Raymond Davis, who had shot and killed two motorcycle-borne
men, who pulled up alongside his car at a traffic light and
apparently tried to rob him in Mazang Chowke area here.
Senior police officer Umar Saeed said yesterday that the
American had told police he had withdrawn money from an ATM
shortly before the incident, raising the possibility the two
men were following him.
Others police officers said the men were possibly robbers
and carrying pistols.
The American has been booked for murder and will be
prosecuted according to Pakistani laws, Rana Sanaullah, the
Law Minister of Punjab province, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’