US court jails 2 for aiding Tamil Tigers
Washington: A US court has sentenced two Canadian men of Sri Lankan origin to 25 years in prison each for trying to sell arms to Tiger Tamil separatist rebels, the US Justice Department said.
Thiruthanikan Thanigasalam, 41, and Sahilal Sabaratnam, 30, both pleaded guilty in January 2009 to providing support to the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam, designated a terrorist group by the United States, it said on Monday.
On Friday, two other men received jail terms for providing support to the Tamil Tigers. Sathajhan Sarachandran was sentenced to 26 years in prison while Nadarasa Yogarasa, got 14 years.
All four men were arrested in August 2006 after negotiating with an undercover FBI agent to buy and export heat-seeking missiles, ten missile launchers, 500 AK-47s, and other military equipment, the department said.
The Justice Department said they were trying to shoot down Sri Lankan military aircraft and that the total arms involved were worth almost USD 1 million.
"The defendants were acting at the direction of senior LTTE leadership in Sri Lanka," the statement said.
The Tamil Tigers have fought for an independent homeland in Sri Lanka since 1972, but were dealt a deathblow in a war last year in which thousands of civilians were killed, according to United Nations estimates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- One killed in PKK car bomb in Turkey's southeast
- Morocco arrests 10 suspected Islamist militants, including Algerian
- India’s bid for NSG membership blocked as member countries fail to arrive at a consensus
- 'Raped woman' remark: Finally, Salman Khan speaks to media - Here's what he said
- 'Unguided missile Subramanian Swamy has backfired at BJP'