US criticises attempts to boycott Nepal polls
Kathmandu: The US on Wednesday criticised attempts by some political parties in Nepal to boycott and obstruct the November 19 elections.
During a meeting with chairman of Nepal`s interim government Khil Raj Regmi here, the US Ambassador to Nepal Peter W Bodde slammed, without naming any group, those who have announced to boycott and obstruct the Constitutional Assembly (CA) polls.
"It was undemocratic to create obstacles to the Constituent Assembly polls," Bodde was quoted as saying during his talks with Regmi by officials at the Prime Minister`s Office.
The meeting came ahead of Regmi`s visit to New York to attend the 68th General Assembly of the United Nations.
CPN-Maoist, the break-away faction of UCPN-Maoist, has vowed to disrupt the CA elections by launching active campaign to boycott the polls.
During the meeting, they discussed about the latest political situation, preparations for the elections and the upcoming UN General Assembly, officials said.
Regmi appraised the US Ambassador about efforts being made to bring all the political parties on board the election process.
Regmi, who was earlier scheduled to pay a 10-day visit to the US, has cut short the trip due to his tight schedule as the CA election will take place in less than two months` time.
He is scheduled to return home on September 30 after spending five days in the US leading the Nepalese delegation.
He is also scheduled to address the UN General Assembly on September 28 and attend other high level meetings.
Regmi will be accompanied by foreign secretary Arjun Bahadur Thapa and other senior officials at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves