US criticises attempts to boycott Nepal polls
Kathmandu: The US on Wednesday criticised attempts by some political parties in Nepal to boycott and obstruct the November 19 elections.
During a meeting with chairman of Nepal`s interim government Khil Raj Regmi here, the US Ambassador to Nepal Peter W Bodde slammed, without naming any group, those who have announced to boycott and obstruct the Constitutional Assembly (CA) polls.
"It was undemocratic to create obstacles to the Constituent Assembly polls," Bodde was quoted as saying during his talks with Regmi by officials at the Prime Minister`s Office.
The meeting came ahead of Regmi`s visit to New York to attend the 68th General Assembly of the United Nations.
CPN-Maoist, the break-away faction of UCPN-Maoist, has vowed to disrupt the CA elections by launching active campaign to boycott the polls.
During the meeting, they discussed about the latest political situation, preparations for the elections and the upcoming UN General Assembly, officials said.
Regmi appraised the US Ambassador about efforts being made to bring all the political parties on board the election process.
Regmi, who was earlier scheduled to pay a 10-day visit to the US, has cut short the trip due to his tight schedule as the CA election will take place in less than two months` time.
He is scheduled to return home on September 30 after spending five days in the US leading the Nepalese delegation.
He is also scheduled to address the UN General Assembly on September 28 and attend other high level meetings.
Regmi will be accompanied by foreign secretary Arjun Bahadur Thapa and other senior officials at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part II
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part III
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part IV
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary
- Woman delivers in Delhi Police PCR van, both mother and child safe
- IPL 2016 Final: SunRisers Hyderabad defeat Royal Challengers Bangalore by 8 runs to win maiden title
- Coal auction to get Rs 3.45 lakh crore; Rs 36k crore saving via DBT: Government
- Hardik Patel calls for stir against donations to schools, colleges in Gujarat
- Perez grabs 3rd spot, gives Force India 4th ever podium finish