US delegation protests illegal detention of diplomat in Pak
Islamabad: A US Congressional delegation
protested the "continued illegal detention" of an American
diplomat in Lahore during a meeting with Pakistan Prime
Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani on Friday.
The bipartisan delegation comprising US Representatives
Buck McKeon, John Kline and Silvestre Reyes called on the
Pakistan government "to abide by its obligation under
international and Pakistani law to recognize his diplomatic
immunity and immediately release him", said a brief statement
issued by the US embassy.
The US has stepped up pressure on Pakistan to release
consular employee Raymond Davis, who was arrested after he
shot and killed two alleged robbers in Lahore on January 27.
A third Pakistani died when he was hit by a US consulate
vehicle rushing to the aid of Davis.
The US has made two demands for the release of Davis in
the past seven days, saying his "continued detention is a
gross violation of international law".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016