US delegation protests illegal detention of diplomat in Pak
Islamabad: A US Congressional delegation
protested the "continued illegal detention" of an American
diplomat in Lahore during a meeting with Pakistan Prime
Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani on Friday.
The bipartisan delegation comprising US Representatives
Buck McKeon, John Kline and Silvestre Reyes called on the
Pakistan government "to abide by its obligation under
international and Pakistani law to recognize his diplomatic
immunity and immediately release him", said a brief statement
issued by the US embassy.
The US has stepped up pressure on Pakistan to release
consular employee Raymond Davis, who was arrested after he
shot and killed two alleged robbers in Lahore on January 27.
A third Pakistani died when he was hit by a US consulate
vehicle rushing to the aid of Davis.
The US has made two demands for the release of Davis in
the past seven days, saying his "continued detention is a
gross violation of international law".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport