US demands safe recovery of American abducted in Pak
Islamabad: The United States has asked Pakistan to ensure safe and early recovery of US national Warren Weinstein, who was abducted at gunpoint by unidentified men in Lahore last Saturday.
According to diplomatic sources, the demand was made by US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in a telephone call to Pakistan Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar, a newspaper reported.
Even as a Foreign Office statement said that the telephonic conversation was about “carrying forward the trajectory of bilateral relations”, Khar’s meeting with Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani after Clinton’s call, followed by Interior Minister Rahman Malik’s meeting with Gilani, added to speculations that Washington was ratcheting up pressure for getting Weinstein released.
The flurry of meetings on Thursday was preceded by US Ambassador Cameron Munter’s meeting with Khar a day earlier.
The meetings coincided with a statement by Punjab Home Minister Rana Sanaullah that Weinstein was engaged in mysterious activities like those of CIA contractor Raymond Davis. The statement is said to have sent alarm bells ringing in Washington.
Police also released a sketch of Weinstein’s possible abductor on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Some parties trying to create anti-Centre sentiment, says Venkaiah Naidu
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog