US denies nuclear energy talks with Pakistan
Washington: The United States has flatly denied "rumours" from Islamabad that it had discussed the possibility of civil nuclear energy cooperation with Pakistan, but said it was supportive of Islamabad`s efforts with its energy problems.
"We`d seen those rumours, but I can confirm there was no discussion of civilian nuclear technology," State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell told reporters Wednesday when asked about such reports from Islamabad citing official source.
"For further discussions, I`d direct you to the Government of Pakistan and Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC), which is a government agency on our side. But there was no discussion of civil nuclear technology," he said.
Asked if the US was considering that (nuclear energy) as an option to address Pakistan`s energy situation, Ventrell repeated: "Again, I confirm - can confirm there was no discussion of it here. "I don`t have anything for you on it."
"But broadly speaking, you know that we`ve been supportive of efforts with Pakistan`s energy problems and much of the aid that the US has provided and the expertise and technology and know-how," he said.
"That has not been a topic of discussion," Ventrell said for the third time when asked if the US was ruling out such discussions between US and Pakistan towards civil nuclear cooperation.
Asked to comment on reports that Pakistan`s new government is planning to import energy from India, the spokesman said: "Anything that makes relations better between Pakistan and India is a good thing."
"We welcome anything that warms the relationship. If it`s in the energy or economic sector, that`s good, but otherwise as well," he said.
In the past too, the US has consistently rebuffed Pakistan`s plea for a nuclear energy agreement akin to the landmark US-India civil nuclear energy deal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’